46346Re: Playterson Lake Simcoe Portage Location

  • Art Neilands
    Dec 11 1:12 PM
      Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll do some research on the Playter family. Like many things from the past we get more questions then answers sometimes. The route to Lake Huron via York, Lake Simcoe, Nottawasaga for military use had been established for sometime and of course by the 1st nations for who knows how many years.
      Most of the place names mentioned in the letter are still used today, Kempenfelt Bay, Holland Landing, Nottawasaga. Another suggestion/local lore is that just south of the south eastern boundry of todays Town of Innisfil was the last stopping point before pushing on to Kempenfelt( mouth of the Holland River?). Looking at a map it would seem reasonable to have a depot at the mouth of the Holland were it runs into Cooks Bay/Lake Simcoe before carrying on to Kempenfelt bay. That being said, its pretty hard to ignore the name of a family who had been established in the area although Playters'ville' would seem more reasonable then Playterson,, but who knows.
      We'll keep looking,