45550Re: 1812 York Volunteer Militia

  • lenthecooper
    May 9, 2012
      Thanks Ewen you beat me to the quote.
      The old 41st jackets were purchased from the soldiers of that regiment after Major Buck's (I believe) recommendation for the militia flank companies, so I can't see them being sold back to the 41st after Detroit. The white band reference is from 27 May '13 and the American attack on Ft George.
      Unless you were portraying a flank company, I doubt that there would be many, if any redcoats in the ranks. Best bet, wear proper civilian clothing with belts bayonet and box.
      Len Heidebrecht
      York Volunteers

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "ekwardle" <ekwardle@...> wrote:
      > Taken from René Chartrand's A Scarlet Coat:
      > On 29 July, 1812, a garrison order at York mentioned that the flank companies of the 3rd York leaving for the Niagara would be "fitted with caps, blankets and haversacks" on leaving and this would be followed by an issue of "regimental coats and canteens" on arrival. General Brock further mentioned his pleasure at their orderly conduct, discipline, their "appearance in uniform and their perfect knowledge of their duty".
      > Ewan
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic