45549Re: 1812 York Volunteer Militia

  • ekwardle
    May 9, 2012
      Taken from René Chartrand's A Scarlet Coat:

      On 29 July, 1812, a garrison order at York mentioned that the flank companies of the 3rd York leaving for the Niagara would be "fitted with caps, blankets and haversacks" on leaving and this would be followed by an issue of "regimental coats and canteens" on arrival. General Brock further mentioned his pleasure at their orderly conduct, discipline, their "appearance in uniform and their perfect knowledge of their duty".

      Ewan