45541Re: 1812 York Volunteer Militia

  • Mike
    May 9, 2012
      As far as I know, the 5th Lincolns may have gotten some of the 41st's old uniforms when they went to Detroit. I haven't seen any primary documents to confirm that, but Brock did dress the militia at Detroit in cast-off uniforms from the 41st.
      I have seen primary sources that uniforms were being made in NOTL for the 1st Lincolns. Calvin Arnt has copies of those documents posted on the 1st Lincoln's website. Other than that, to the best of my knowledge, the Lincoln Militia went into battle in civilian clothing. At the battle of Fort George in 1813, one of the British Officers wrote that the militia opposing the landing were being given white armbands to distinguish them from the American Militia. I've also seen references that they did the same at Chippewa in 1814.

      Cheers!
      Mike Jansen
      2nd Lincoln Militia

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <hearndenb@...> wrote:

      > Thanks very much. I thought they may have got some discarded uniforms from some the 49th or 41st regiment?
      >
      > Is the same true for the Lincoln Militia?
      >
      > Brian
      > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Ron <ronaldjdale@> wrote:
      > >

      > > This one is easy. They wore their civilian clothing [snip]

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic