44175Re: 1812 RC on Ships

  • Diane Williams
    Sep 9, 2011
      I posted this question in the War of 1812 group hosted by Michael Dun, who
      lives in Scotland and does a lot of War of 1812 research at the Royal Navy
      Archives in Kew, England. He at first replied with Revenue Cutter, but
      couldn't find any such ships with these names:
      --RC stands for "revenue cutter" a useful note can be found at http://www.uscg.mil/history/USRMWarOf1812index.asp and associated links -
      but none of the vessels named are listed so if any have a different
      explanation I'd be interested.
      Then we got another response:
      Homer writes "I am quite certain that RC stands for RECAPTURE" and he is
      correct -- I apologize I should have realised all was not well when I
      couldn't find those vessels in the list of Revenue Cutters. As another
      Homer would say, "Doh!"

      Harrison Baker mentions same in his prisoner lists -- so using the list for
      Halifax, I checked on the Sarah, listed as Letter of Marque, and the name
      Covell, Clement, seaman, taken 14 Sept 1814 by HMS Maidstone.

      Lloyds's List 25 Oct. 1814:
      The Sarah, Headley, from St.John's N.B. to Barbadoes, was taken 14th ult.
      by the Shark privateer, retaken 28th by Maidstone frigate, and arrived at
      Halifax 30th.

      Best wishes,
      Michael
      Latitude 56:47386 North Longitude -2:84576 West www.1812privateers.org

      ~~Diane Williams (ggg granddaughter of Privateer Captain John P. Chazal)

      >What does RC mean?
      >
      >Thanks in advance.
      >
      >Kevin
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic