42646Re: Interpreting Anomolies

  • adjutant1812
    Sep 8, 2010
      But no one can justify a full beard for 1812 by any stretch (pioneers/sappers and voyageur types excepted). >
      > Peter Butrite
      > Maryland

      As someone who spent a number of years interpreting voyageurs I wish to add that while facial hair is very common among reeactors in that set as well it is also not correct. A review of period paintings of voyageurs will show that there are no beards etc. Many years ago a fur trade historian challenged us on a number of myths of the fur trade. We were unable to prove him wrong. Many of us changed our interpretation based upon this challenge. Our focus was Midwest Fur trade of the early 19th century. Note to all, I am referring to voyageurs, not mountain men. The more specific of an interpretation one engages in the more the details can become important.

      I believe that our interpretation and equipment should change based upon ongoing research and a desire to improve.

    • Show all 29 messages in this topic