4116441st and American Muskets

  • tom4141fournier
    Nov 4, 2009
      When reviewing the Procter Court Martial manuscripts and also American accounts of the pursuit up the Thames; came across the fact that the Right Division had stacked a large number of American muskets in a bullding just outside of modern day Chatham (Bowles..I think ...). The Americans put out the fire and regained many of their muskets lost at Detroit.

      They had been lugged around but not necesaarily every used ...

      Tom

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "James" <yawors1@...> wrote:

      > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "larrylozon" [snip]
      > > How did the 41st Regiment exist at Fort Malden with tents marked US4th and Charleville muskets?
      > >
      > [snip]
      > >
      > > Records State: August 15-16, 1812, capture of Ft. Detroit by
      > > 41st Regt., 49th Regt., [and a bunch of fencible and militia units]
      >

      > A scrupulous regard for honesty, and the honour of "my" Regiment, the 41st, requires me to state:
      >
      > 1) I have never come across a record of any sort indicating that members of the 41st Regiment were issued American muskets. They helped *capture* many stands of same at Fort Detroit, but that is not the same as having these arms issued to members of the 41st for use in combat.
      >
      > 2) the main strike force of the Right Division (being a varying number of companies of the 41st) was usually billeted in buildings in Sandwich, not stationed at Fort Malden, for the relevant periods during the war postdating the capture of Detroit, namely, August 1812 to September 1813. I have no idea where any captured American tents might have ended up, but they were not being utilized by the 41st. When the Right Division besieged Fort Meigs in April/May 1813, it is recorded that they had no tents or shelter at all, other than what crude shelters could be improvised from materials at hand.
      >
      > 3) the 49th's contribution to the capture of Detroit consisted of General Brock's batman. And of course General Brock himself, although by that point he was acting in the capacity of a general officer hence not attached to any specific regiment...
      >
      > Jim Yaworsky
      > 41st

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic