38900Re: 1812 Re: African Americans in US Forces

  • John Ogden
    Jan 7, 2009
      Interesting. I understand all too well about finding a tidbit of potential
      interest and not following up on it immediately because you were looking for
      something else, then not being able to locate the randomly discovered item
      later when you are free to follow up on it. If I had more free time to
      devote to researching this, I would love to follow up on this. My wife is a
      woman of color and, as a father and reenactor, I want our son to understand
      that while African-Americans have usually been marginalized by
      conventional/traditional historians, many did play pro-active and
      significant roles in the formation of our Republic.

      John J. Ogden

      Madison, June 20, 1785

      "As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense,
      founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of
      enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Musselmen; and, as the
      said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any
      Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising
      from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony
      existing between the two countries." -- Article 11 of the Treaty of Peace
      and Friendship between the United States and the Bey and Subjects of Tripoli
      of Barbary, 3 Junad 1211 (Muslim calendar), 4 November 1796 C.E..