      From: Colin <usmarine1814@...>
      Subject: 1812 Re: Free Person’s of Colour now African Americans in US Forces
      To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, January 5, 2009, 10:17 AM

      RL wrote:
      "Not in the U.S. Army any time before 1862, surely, and I doubt that
      either the
      U.S. Navy or Marines had them either."

      From what I recall I heard that a large portion of the regiments
      raised in 1813 and 14 were African Americans and soon after the war
      there was a purge and African Americans did not return to the US Army
      until 1862 as mentioned Perhaps someone can elaborate..

      The US Navy also had plenty of African Americans... See LLs example
      also I conference was held at the USS Constitution Museum a few years
      back and a speaker gave a great talk on the African Americans in the
      US Navy.

      As to the Marine Corps the Jury is still out

      They were not supposed to be there but we have found numerous
      enlistees described as "dark complexion" "black hair" "black eyes" one
      listed as a "planter" from Virginia

      YHOS
      Colin Murphy
      USS CON 1812 MG