38846RE: Solomon Moseby Affair

  • Kevin Windsor
    Jan 2, 2009
      Happy new year all!

      What Michael is referring to if the Moseby Affair of 1837. Solomon Moseby
      stole his master's horse and escaped to Niagara. The owner of the horse had
      him arrested for theft and demanded his extradition back to Kentucky. The
      Lieutenant Governor of Upper Canada returned Moseby because he was guilty of
      theft and not back into slavery. (though he was fully aware of what would
      happen to Moseby)
      The subsequent riot that occurred wasn't because of the Militia it was
      because of the nearly 400 supporters that gathered around to stop the
      extradition. In the end the soldiers (I can't remember if they were
      regulars or militia) killed two people and Moseby escaped. He made his way
      to England.

      As to bounty hunters not coming into Upper Canada, they did frequently.
      There were warnings posted for blacks to be aware. Many of the Canadian
      border towns had safe houses to hide escaped slaves from slave catchers.

      A trip to the Lundy's Lane Historical Museum will give you information on
      slavery in Upper Canada and the history of the Black community in Niagara
      since. Combine that with a trip to the Nathaniel Dett British Methodist
      Episcopalian Church and you will have the whole experience!

      Kevin
      89th

      From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
      Of richard lytle

      Michael,

      Normally I just lurk on this message board just to be up-to-date on what is
      happening out in the active historical community but this time your posting
      has me curious about something.

      Who's black soldiers were they?

      Not in the U.S. Army any time before 1862, surely, and I doubt that either
      the U.S. Navy or Marines had them either. But the (U. S.) fugitive slave law
      was in operation in the 1850's and it was based upon an older law in the
      U.S. There were plenty of slave bounty hunters operating throughout the U.
      S. and I would not be all that surprised if they extended their operations
      into Canada. Theoritically, the incident could have happened---but with
      black soldiers?

      Just as a bit of trivia I will add that I  know that almost all black (white
      officers were still then assigned and white medical staff were assigned to
      the post hospitals) garrisons were at U. S. forts along the lower Great
      Lakes at one point early in the 1900's but that was long after the issue of
      slavery had been addressed by the 13th, 14th and 15th Admendments to the U.
      S. constitution.

      Richard Lytle

      From: whittakermp <whittakermp@...>

      I vaguely recall an incident of near mutiny at Fort George Pre-civil
      War when Black soldiers were forced to surrender an escaped slave they
      were harbouring. Ring any bells?

      Michael
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic