38836Re: Free Person’s of Colour was Slavery in Upper Canada?

  • peter monahan
    Jan 1, 2009
      One can also find, with only a little hunting, the cabin of the man
      on whom "Uncle Tom" of Uncle Tom's Cabin was based. "The Queen's
      Bush", west of Shelburne on the Bruce Peninsula, was an area settled
      by free blacks in the early to mid-nineteenth century and a frequent
      destination of escaped slaves from the US. Collingwood was the
      extreme northern terminus of the Underground Railway and I've been
      told that it employed a number of blacks in the shipyards. Some of
      them, it's said, worked,on Confederate commerce raiders which were
      built there. Ironic, no?

      As to the sale of "Canadian slaves" to the US, I should think it was
      regerded, while a scandal, much like the sale of livestock or
      the 'disciplining' of one's wife and children: a private matter
      generally of interest to no one but the participants. Sadly, many
      decent Canadians and Americans probably rgarded it that way too.

      I have met a black [Afro-Canadian person of colour] who told me that
      her ancestor, an escaped slave, originally settled in Holland Landing
      at the foot of Lake Simcoe but moved on into the bush around Willow
      Creek Depot because he feared being captured and returned south by
      slave hunters. I don't know the law here on it but certainly in the
      US it was a federal offence to interfere with the efforts of bounty
      hunters to return slaves to their rightful owners.
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic