37979Fanshawe thank you

  • Dave Westhouse
    Oct 8, 2008
      Thank you everyone for your kind words and attendance at Fanshawe 1812
      The Invasion of Upper Canada this past weekend.

      Seeing and hearing the joy everyone had makes all the hard work of
      preparation worthwhile. It all starts again now for next year. There
      are still a few bugs to work out but we listened to what you all said
      during the weekend and the few frustrations that were evident to make
      it that much better in years to come.

      It's amazing to see Tecumseh field come to life and fill with canvas
      within a matter of hours. Because of crop rotation we needed to move
      the battlefield but it worked out great. Next year we are thinking of
      something different and lots of fun. As well, we will be suggesting
      some improvements the site can do to improve, but once again we are
      only advisers and cannot make them do anything.

      I would like to thank all the units that put up and took down colours,
      individuals who assisted with mini-militia and would like also to
      point out a few individuals who worked tirelessly to bring it all
      together.
      All the members of the Royal Scots Grenadier Company for supporting
      the event and doing little things to help make the work easier.
      Hal Dennison for sharing a vision, pushing the event and
      offering advice and logistical support.
      Kevin Garrett, our pioneer, for helping with site setup, making sure
      our flag poles were ready and helping with the skirmish plus a
      multitude of other tasks including a wonderful rum ration. (He
      particularly enjoyed chopping down the flag poles to recover the
      hardware for use next year)
      Ron Zboril for helpful advice and mini-militia detail.
      The ladies of our unit for running the background detail and keeping
      us fed so well (the skull on our website photo album is from our roast
      pig dinner).
      Glyn and Linda Parsons for all the other background work to bring it
      together. Linda works in the village store and was there for all our
      meetings. Glyn worked with me from Wednesday in the rain for 2 days to
      bring it all together and was the other person who did so much and
      deserves praise from all for a wonderful event.

      Thank you all for coming and see you there next year and at all the
      events along the way.

      Dave Westhouse, Sgt.
      1st Royal Scots Grenadiers.

      Fanshawe 1812 - The Invasion of Upper Canada.

      Photos from the event can be seen at;
      http://www.royalscotsgrenadiers.com/images.html

      "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things
      you didn't do than by the ones that you did. So throw off the
      bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your
      sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

      --- Mark Twain
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic