36250Re: 1812 bombardment or battle - is there a difference?

  • Colin
    Jun 8, 2008
      I love the responses!!The reason I posted in the first place!!

      I just want to add another comment as well

      .. I personally see the exchange of fire being a quailifier for "a
      battle". The Americans fired back, causing ships to draw back. The
      diversion up the Ferry Branch also had Americans firing at an enemy
      tactical move. If the Americans just sat their and took the
      hammering (which the fort did for 90% of the time)I would call that
      a siege or bombardment but they did fire back. Is that then a "re-
      bombardment?"
      Was then the 2nd Battle of St. Leonard's Creek a battle for the men
      who were on shore (as it has been established that artillery fire
      between ships is a battle, but not ships and a fort?)?

      Is "small arms" fire the qualifier?

      Again
      YHOS
      Colin Murphy
      USS CON 1812 MG
      USMCHC

      PS Would this all be a part of "The Battle of Baltimore"
      Kinda like the air bombing on the French coast in the days previous
      to D-Day. Tose airmen could say they fought in that battle even
      though no small arms fire would be exchanged until a day or tow (or
      more) later....or am I just grasping at imaginary straws here?