36249Re: 1812 bombardment or battle - is there a difference?

  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
    Jun 8, 2008
      In a message dated 6/8/2008 1:05:36 PM Central Daylight Time,
      mimathews@... writes:

      What's in a name? I don't have the answer or frankly find it terribly
      important.

      -----------------------

      Well Mike, that depends on weather words actually mean things or not. One
      thing we can say for sure is that it wasn't a battle. One fights a battle
      against an army, one lays siege to, or bombards a town city or fortress. The words
      are important because they tell you what a thing is, at least they did 200
      years ago so I think it is not unreasonable to go with the definitions used
      back then.

      Ah but here comes another wrinkle, which SIDE are you on and what is your
      perception? The British may have decided that it was not to be an attack on
      McHenry but only a diversionary bombardment but the defenders can hardly be
      expected to see it the same way when rockets and shells are landing on them. So
      while it is perfectly accurate for the British to say it was a diversion, it
      also accurate for US accounts to call it a serious assault and take pride in
      their survival.

      Perception is everything after all the Battle of New Orleans was fought
      while the war was still going on and it was NOT the last battle of the war! I
      believe there are even people who think the US won, even though non of their
      stated reasons for declaring war were acceded to and the US flag doesn't fly
      over Canada!

      INCOMING !!!!!!!!!

      Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.