354Re: Who won???

  • Paul W. Schulz
    Feb 20, 1999
      Sean,
      I usually find that I am in agreement with many of the things that you
      have written but in this case I am wondering if you cracked your head coming
      out of the car today. This will be a first, hearing someone complain that
      those on different sides in debate are conducting themselves as gentlemen is
      a new one for me. If you would rather change the tone of the conversations
      I'm sure that can be accommodated. As far as defending national pride you'll
      find that I can be about as salty as they come. In fact you may find I can
      be the nastiest person you ever met on the issue, full of more vinegar than
      rancid wine. I guess that's what comes of loosing friends in the defense of
      a flag that was bought in blood rather than issued by a government divesting
      itself of territory it no longer wanted.
      As far as the Canadians winning the war I'll go along with them as 20th
      century winners, but not 19th century winners. The inhabitants of Canada
      were British, not Canadian. No Canadian identity existed before the war. You
      had a hodge podge of French, American immigrants and ARW refugees, in many
      cases all with differing agendas. That would be why Brock initially did not
      trust the militia and you had those problems with Mr. Wilcox. After the war
      they were all firmly British, having fought for a common cause and from that
      developed the sense of Canadian Nationalism seen today. Which still varies
      from providence to providence.
      As far as who won a Lundy's Lane....well let me help you with that one
      to, lest you grope around in the dark forever. The US won guys, sorry. The
      winner of a battle (at least in the tactical sense) is the side left in
      possession of the field. They don't have to homestead, just keep it and not
      be chased away. The Battle started for the US as a recognizance in force
      with the major British action PLANNED for the other side of the river. This
      action was recalled due to the rapidly changing situation on Canadian soil,
      The British DID NOT hold the strategic ground at the end of the battle and I
      defy you to pull up documented proof that they did. The US retired due to
      unavailable water making the ground ultimately unsuitable for a relocation
      of the camp. The US also retired when they damned well pleased, and in very
      good order and at a slow UNMOLESTED pace. Captains Glews much recorded
      charge did not take place at the end of the battle but in the middle of it.
      The British retired OFF the field and up Lundy's Lane leaving two companies
      to monitor US activities. Even these soldiers did not keep close enough
      contact to detect the US redeployment until after sun up. The forces that
      Mr. Cruikshank mentions in his much discredited accounts as an American rear
      guard was nothing more than a work party assigned to remove the pieces on
      the day following the battle and the British did not occupy any ground until
      the day after. To call this a British victory is kinda like sayin' on your
      why to the mail box you found $100.00 (US currency of course) and coming
      back in to the house and sayin' "Hey, look I earned $100.00 bucks today." It
      doesn't was and it sure aint consistent with the facts. If you have any
      further questions I reffer you to "Where right and Glory Lead," by Donald
      Graves Appendix C beginning on pg 265. Enjoy it its a good book.
      Don't get me wrong I am in no way detracting from the conduct or bravery
      of the Crown Forces in any action in any theater of the period, but let's
      call a spade a spade, get your facts straight.
      Speaking of spades how's that for a shovel full of dirt. Now don't you
      think its better when we pull a punch or two and act like gentlemen. Jim
      makes one of the finest points I've yet read on this electronic BB. Try to
      look at things from a 19th Century point of view not at what resulted in our
      20th century world. As a side note Jim I am indebted to you for another
      insightful look in to the hobby and the 19th century mind. With my
      dissertation about Rob's question a couple of days ago I was attempting to
      list the US point of view and aims from a 19th century perspective not sugar
      coat anything in a 20th century era of P/C. Unlike some of the crap I read
      on this rag from north of the border I am not trying to refight the War of
      1812, just reenact it and keep the memory of brave men alive.
      Paul Schulz
      4th US Rt. of Inf
      Snelling's Co.