34634Re: [War Of 1812] British Drill Manual

  • sgtsalmo
    Jan 11, 2008
      Kevin:

      Thank you for the response. I have a cerlox bound copy but I am a
      sucker for hard bound books.

      I recognise that a British pvt in 19th century would not have had
      his nose in a drill manual, but my couriosity on the how's and why's
      just gets the better of me. I am also one of the rare breed that
      enjoys drill - just ask my pards in Civil War (I am their 1st
      sergeant). Perfection in drill makes for a better impression.

      Is the 1834 edition that you have, the same drill but just published
      later?

      Doug

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Windsor"
      <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:

      > Hi Doug and welcome to the ranks of the grannies! (Too bad you
      had to join
      > a lower numbered Grenadier company!)
      >

      > As for the drill manual, it would be more authentic for you to NOT
      have one
      > (though they are great things to have!).
      >

      > As a private you would either not know how to read (unless of
      course you
      > were in the 93rd ~smart guys, they wear trews! ~) or, if you
      could, wouldn't
      > be trusted to be able to interpret the contents without
      instructions from
      > your serjeants! (and you wouldn't want to keep it in your
      haversack, that
      > is for food)
      >

      > With all of that being said, though, I would encourage you to get
      one! It
      > never hurts. The originals are not ~pocket~ sized, though, they
      are 5 1/4"
      > (W) x 8 ½" (L). If you are handy with book binding (or know
      someone who is)
      > Google books has a scanned copy of the 1807, you can print that
      off and bind
      > it. The original 1834 edition that I have at the Museum is
      grey/blue,
      > though my suspicion is that it was Prussian blue, ordinance blue
      (whatever
      > you want to call it).
      >

      > Hope this helps and drop by and meet the OTHER grenadiers at
      Longwoods!

      > Kevin Windsor
      >
      > Grenadier Coy, 89th Reg't
      >

      > _____
      >
      > From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com]
      On Behalf
      > Of sgtsalmo
      >

      > My name is Doug Clark and I am a new member (2007) to the 1st
      Royal
      > Scots Grenadiers. I am located in southern Ontario, near Guelph.
      This