33953Re: [War Of 1812] Musket tuning - comments and suggestions requested

  • Ken
    Oct 5, 2007
      My apologies I meant the notches on the tumbler not the notches on
      the sear. You should also check the end of the sear to make sure it
      isn't rounded.

      I also found it helpful to have the sear and the tumbler hardened
      this seemed to stop the parts wearing.

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Ken" <ken.helen@...> wrote:

      > The metal inside the locks of the India patterns is relatively soft
      > causing the notches in the sear to wear slightly I had a similar
      > problem with my India.
      >
      > The solution was to take a thin triangular file and file the
      notches
      > in the sear slightly to put a fresh sharp edge on them. If you look
      > at the outer edges of the notches you will probably find that they
      > are slightly rounded. When the lock is out of the musket you are
      > unable to apply the same force to the mechanism as when you have
      the
      > extra leverage of the musket when the lock is installed.
      >
      > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "peter monahan" <petemonahan@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Bill Sharrette <bsharrette@>
      > wrote:
      > > Bill Sharette wrote....
      > >
      > > "Perhaps you flip/floped the bridle screws when reassembling the
      > lock."
      > >
      > > Tried it both ways - both before and after I saw yr suggestion.
      > The
      > > really odd thing is the first time I put uit in the stock after
      > each
      > > removal it WILL stay on half-cock but after one firing it won't.
      > So
      > > perhaps I need to 'twiddle' some of the stock inletting, as Roy
      > > suggested.
      > >
      > > I'll let you know how this turns out. Luckily I have all winter
      > get
      > > it right!
      > >
      > > Peter

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic