33698Re: [War Of 1812] Carbines and Fusils

  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
    Sep 6, 2007
      In a message dated 06/09/2007 10:22:26 Central Standard Time,
      ortheris@... writes:

      The Japanese
      had the lacquer trees to make the lacquer finish but were not inclined
      to disclose the secret of its manufacture to the West. Or so I have
      been told. Of course it protected the muskets from rusting aboard ships.

      This process was also used on metal sword scabbards on campaign. I have a
      very nice 1796 pattern Lt. Cavalry sword with a scabbard treated in this manner.
      I was extremely lucky in that when I bought it I was about to clean this off
      until I did a little research. Still that was 25 years ago!

      Cheers,