33697Re: [War Of 1812] Carbines and Fusils

  • J.Bruce Whittaker
    Sep 6, 2007
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Pierce" <highlandpeat@...> wrote:

      > Ron,
      >
      > I suspect the reference to "Black Muskets" probably referred to Sea
      Service
      > Muskets that had been "japanned". Japanning was a common Royal Navy
      practice
      > during the period for muskets borne aboard warships.

      Greetings List,
      For those who may not know what "japanning" is: it was the painting
      wood or metal to copy the lacquer ware that was coming from Japan
      during the period. It was usually black paint and varnish. It copied
      the look of the lacquer ware that was coming from Japan. The Japanese
      had the lacquer trees to make the lacquer finish but were not inclined
      to disclose the secret of its manufacture to the West. Or so I have
      been told. Of course it protected the muskets from rusting aboard ships.
      Regards,
      Bruce Whittaker
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic