33444Re: [War Of 1812] Re: Battlefield with No Respect

  • annbwass@aol.com
    Aug 1, 2007
      In a message dated 7/31/2007 10:22:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      sgtwarner@... writes:

      What's left of the original field is a strip along the
      > Anacostia River where part of the opening of the battle occurred.
      > Interestingly, it looks pretty much like it probably did in 1814 in
      > this area. Bladensburg is a case study of what happens when
      > politicians and political cronies run the show.
      > There are but a few buildings remaining from the time of the battle.
      > One, the Boswell House, needs some repair work and is owned by the
      > Bladensburg Historical Society.

      I think that strip of land is undeveloped only because it is flood plain.
      BTW, the house is Bostwick. (It was built in the 18th century. SecNav
      Benjamin Stoddert was one of the residents.)

      Ann Wass