32284Forage (Garrison) Caps

  • larrylozon
    May 2, 2007
      "buffssgt" wrote:

      " I agree, the stocking cap and bonet de police are different enough
      to be separate hats.... how does this then differ from troops
      garrisoned in Canada, versus troops garrisoned in other parts of the
      empire? ..."

      I am informed that Fort York (Toronto, Ontario, Canada) received blue
      garrison (Forage) caps [see: photo pillbox2 By: mrkdickerson in the
      Photo section of this Yahoo Group). These were issued to the troops
      garrisoned there.

      This does not coincide with any hat worn in Europe by Wellington's
      Army (as communicated to me)

      We forget The War of 1812 (North America) was not the Penninsula War

      Uniform replacement was not on the priority list for troops in North
      America

      Mr. Twist, Mr.Henderson and others have done research on Forage
      (Garrison) Caps and have come to the conclusion that
      the "elf", "stocking" or " bonnet de police" was the most common hat
      worn by Crown Forces in the Great Lakes area of North America.

      The 7th USI as other USA Forces also wear a similar cap of French
      design

      Yrs.,
      L2
      Upper Canada (Ontario)