31602Re: Notification of Families of British War Casualties

  • Five Rivers Chapmanry
    Mar 8, 2007
      Women in wills: An estate would not be willed to a woman because
      according to British law (and much of European) a woman could not hold
      title. There were exceptions, most notably that of monarchy, but on average
      a woman would not be mentioned in a will as a beneficiary of anything but
      perhaps a small stipend or sum of money. She might be mentioned as a ward
      that the next male heir was to accommodate. I do not have the legal texts
      available; however, one need only look to much of the plot premise behind
      Jane Austen's (and others) works to see this was a widely known and accepted

      Marriage: Among the lower classes, of which much of the regular
      foot and able seamen were a part, the cost of a legal marriage was
      prohibitive, and hence the 'Common Law', of a man and woman cohabitating as
      husband and wife came into existence. I do believe that recognized form of
      marriage dates back to at least the 1300s, but I could be mistaken, as the
      research paper I wrote about that has long since vanished.

      Five Rivers Chapmanry

      purveyors of quality hand-crafted cooperage, embroidery supplies; fine,
      original textile, pen and ink, and watercolour art. Launching April 1:
      Recipes of a Dumb Housewife, by Lorina Stephens

      519-799-5577 info@... - www.5rivers.org