31591Re: [War Of 1812] Notification of Families of British War Casualties

  • Ray Hobbs
    Mar 7 3:27 PM
      Hi Glenn:
      I shall be in Ottawa and grubbing through the Archives at the end of
      March. I'll see what I can find.
      On a related note - Major Adam Muir of the 41st was a hero of the war,
      as a Captain. He was invalided out of the army in 1819, and eventually
      died in Sorel (William Henry), Canada in 1828. His wife had a devil of
      a job getting his pension from the army agents, and eventually had to
      resort to two memorials to the Duke himself. This worked.

      The story is full of tragedy and pathos. If a highly regarded officer
      and a decorated one (Gold Medal) had this much trouble getting his just
      desserts, or rather, his family did. one can only imagine what happened
      to the regular Tommy.

      As you said, great thread, and one worth following.

      Ray H
      XLI