31587Re: [War Of 1812] Notification of Families of British War Casualties

  • Tom Fournier
    Mar 7, 2007
      Good question!

      The returns I saw, could give no indication of that.

      Given the limited level of literacy, you wonder if there were many
      if any wills.

      Money given to a wife, money given to a brother in the regiment; it
      almost seems that if they are with the regiment, then you can not
      deny them the money and it is convenient to claim it was "willed" to
      them.

      Tom

      > Do you think, Tom, that most of the time when a will was filled
      out
      > for a wife, it was one of these women on the strength of the
      Regiment?

      > Chris
      >
      > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Fournier"
      > <tom4141fournier@> wrote:
      > > Another interesting note; from an inspection return from October
      > > 1811, the establishment of the 41st was listed as 760 men.
      There
      > is
      > > also a notation indicating that there was 98 "legally" married
      > women
      > > and 253 children.
      > >
      > > Tom
      > >

      > > > A question that would require a lot of digging is how many of
      the
      > > men
      > > > with wills listed wives as the next of kin? Tom mentioned
      > brother
      > > > soldiers first. It would seem (in the 41st at this time, at
      > > least)
      > > > that it was rare to list a wife on a will - perhaps for this
      > exact
      > > > reason.
      > > >
      > > > Chris

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic