31575Re: [War Of 1812] Notification of Families of British War Casualties

  • Tom Fournier
    Mar 6, 2007
      This is hardly definitive, but when I was reviewing casualty returns
      for the 41st from the War of 1812, there was a column that read, "If
      not paid out to the Regiment to whom willed; or if no will, who is
      supposed to be the next kin"

      Of the 500 deaths or so that I noted, only a handful (less than 10)
      had a record of a will; a small number had their final settlement
      paid to a brother in the regiment, another member of the regiment or
      a widow.

      The vast majority had their settlement go to the regimental agent

      This seems to indicate as Chris had suggested once you joined, and
      especially if you were sent on foreign service, you were gone from
      family and all connections to home.

      I don't know for certain but I assume that if it went to the
      regimental agent, it remained in the regiment's funds.

      Tom
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic