31574Re: [War Of 1812] Notification of Families of British War Casualties

  • Chris McKay
    Mar 6 3:13 PM
      I have to agree, at least to a certain extent. Considering that
      thousands of men a year were dying in India, the Indies, and Spain, not
      to mention Canada, it is assuming a lot that the army was able to
      inform every parish of the men that died. In addition, there are
      stories of colonels (from slightly before our time, granted) collecting
      the pay of dead soldiers for their own profit - if the army couldn't
      keep track, there's little chance of them passing the information on.

      To look at it from another angle: a quick check of the Royals
      inspection returns shows that the vast majority (4/5ths) of the
      Regiment was enlisted for life. When they sailed for the West Indies
      in 1801 (not to return to England or Scotland until 1815) I have to
      wonder how many of the wives, girlfriends or family members accepted
      their soldier as lost. It sounds brutal to modern ears, I'm sure, but
      if a woman is left behind, I think she would move on. With no limit on
      the tours of duty, she would have no idea how long she would have to
      wait for news.

      Chris

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Peter Catley <peter.catley@...> wrote:

      > And for Methodists or Catholics?
      >
      > I suspect we may be attaching too much of our modern concepts on
      > communication, I suspect that time and word of mouth were very
      > important. Also there is some evidence that the Parish recorded on
      the
      > service record was not accurate, they occasionally may have used the
      > Parish where the recruit was signed up by the recruiting party rather
      > than the Parish of residence or birth.
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic