31572Re: [War Of 1812] Notification of Families of British War Casualties

  • Ray Hobbs
    Mar 6, 2007
      Fascinating thread, and well-worth doing some research. Here is an
      example of where things might not work as smoothly.
      George Ferguson of the 100th - a literate, middle-class private soldier
      - mentions that until the Regiment got to Newport, Isle of Wight in
      1812, most of the women of the soldiers traveled with the men.
      It was on the dock, just before embarkation that the lottery was held
      to determine which six per company would join the men on their trip to
      Canada. There were dozens of women and children who did not make the
      cut, and were abandoned on the docks as the boats pulled out. The scene
      he likened to Dante's Inferno.
      Now these women would have to return to Ireland, where they originated,
      on the slim assurance of the parish vouchers they were issued. I wonder
      how many made it home.

      The 100th lost a lot of men at Chippewa, and took part in several other
      battles. If their names were sent home to their parishes in Ireland as
      missing or killed in action, I wonder how many there left there to
      mourn them.

      Ray Hobbs
      XLI