31568Re: [War Of 1812] Notification of Families of British War Casualties

  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
    Mar 6, 2007
      Unfortunately I cannot find the copies I had of a group of letters
      pertaining a soldier in the New Orleans campaign. One from the chap himself, one from
      his sergeant to his family saying he had been killed and recommending they
      claim his prize and blood money and subsequent letters from the authorities
      pertaining to the claim, ending with one saying that his father had already
      claimed the cash.
      The originals are in the Nottingham city Museum (or public library, I forget
      which). and I am very upset I can't put my hands on them but the answer is
      yes, money could be, and was, claimed by the families of private soldiers.

      http://www.aol.com