30836Re: 1800- british drummers beatings

  • Chris McKay
    Jan 1, 2007
      Sorry, no. First off, when I say "the Royals," I don't mean Royal
      Regiments in general, but THE Royal Regiment (later the Royal
      Scots). The fourth battalion of the Royal Scots had bearskins as
      they were stationed in England in 1812. The first battalion,
      however, since they came directly from the West Indies, didn't have
      them - inspection returns are pretty clear on this point. I believe
      the Third Battalion (in the Peninsula) and the Second Battalion (in
      India) left them at home as well.

      Chris

      > What! are you saying that Royal Regiments did not wear Bearskin
      Caps.
      > All Regiments per His Majesty's Royal Warrents where to have their
      > Drummers wearing bearskin caps. Now when in the field or in a far
      off
      > land they may have used a shako because of costs of the Bearskin
      caps.
      > When the Royal Welch Fusiliers when to Spain they stored their caps
      > and use Stove pipe shakos. That said the Grenadier coy, and the
      > drummers still may have worn their Bearskin caps.
      >
      > THE DRUM Hugh Barty-King
      > Uniform Warrent 1802
      >
      > Cheers to you Jack
      >

      > Fusiliers in Spain 1809
      > Royal Welch Fusiliers in Spain 1809 - 23rd Regiment
      > Captain Jack Pritchard, Commanding - Gren. & Lt. Detactment
      > Members - 1812 Crown Forces, Brigade Napoléon: Napoleonic
      Reenactment

      > I swear to be true to our Sovereign Lord King George, and to serve
      > him honestly and faithfully, in Defense of His Person, Crown, and
      > Dignity, against all His Enemies or Opposers whatever: And to
      observe
      > and obey His Majesty's Orders, and the Orders of the Generals and
      > Officers set over me by His Majesty."

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic