      From: "Peter Monahan" <petemonahan@...>
      To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, September 29, 2006 7:46 AM
      Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] NEWS: British, US treasure hunters fight over
      War of 1812 loot in Canada

      | Gord
      |
      | I read about this in the Star (Yes, Virginia, there really is a
      literate SM.) I was struck by 2 things: "the famed frigate Fantome"
      and "thousands of coins".
      | Had any of you naval buffs heard of this legendary vessel before
      this company found it? I'm sure it's an important historical artifact
      but hardly, I'd guess, on par with the Spanish treausre ships for
      wealth of cargo.

      | Secondly, if one reads the original story carefully - and I assume
      it's based on a news release - it doesn't actually say the divers
      FOUND thousands of coins, just that they found "stuff" including 'some
      of the thousands of coins' [which may be down there.] My addition.
      Call me a cynic but people have been looking for gold in NS for
      several centuires now - see "Oak Island" on any webcrawler - and no
      one I've ever heard of has gotten rich yet. After all, these guys are
      running a business and presumably need or want investors and all the
      publicity they can get so... are they gonna say "Hell, no. It's a
      small ship with a mixed cargo of nails, boots and bricks with maybe
      100 pounds in gold." or are they gonna talk "pay chest... treasure
      ship..." ?

      | My tuppence and change!
      |
      | Peter Doubting Thomas Monahan
      | ============================================================
      | From: "Gordon Deans" <gord.deans@...>
      | Date: 2006/09/29 Fri AM 03:44:20 EST
      | To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
      | Subject: [WarOf1812] NEWS: British, US treasure hunters fight over
      War of 1812 loot in Canada

      | It seems that the War Of 1812 is still going on. See the following
      | news item. Anyone interested in a sailing expedition "down east" to
      | fetch "the thousands of coins" next summer?
      |

      | Gord Deans
      |

      | ======================================================
      |

      | British, US treasure hunters fight over War of 1812 loot in Canada
      |

      | Thu Sep 21, 1:48 PM ET
      |

      | OTTAWA (AFP) - Almost two centuries after a British gunship sank off
      | Canada's east coast, British and American treasure hunters are at
      odds
      | over who should claim its precious cargo -- spoils from the War of
      | 1812.
      |

      | The famed frigate HMS Fantome and a small commercial fleet sank in a
      | storm off the coast of Nova Scotia province in November 1814 with
      loot
      | from a sacked White House, Capitol Building and Treasury in
      | Washington.
      |

      | Now, Philadelphia-based Sovereign Exploration Associates (SEA)
      | believes it has found the sunken fleet in Canadian waters.
      |

      | But the salvage firm has been denied further access to the
      underwater
      | site by Canadian authorities after the British High Commission in
      | Ottawa intervened to claim the wrecks and the swag.
      |

      | "We received a letter from the British High Commission claiming
      | sovereign immunity on two ships, Fantome and (cargo ship) Tilbury,"
      | Wendy Barnable, a spokeswoman for the Nova Scotia ministry of
      tourism,
      | culture and heritage, told AFP.
      |

      | "They claimed that because these ships weren't captured or weren't
      | surrendered before sinking, they remain the property of the British
      | government," she said.
      |

      | "We acknowledged the UK's claim to its military property and denied
      | (SEA) a heritage research permit needed for (salvage) work to
      | continue," Barnable said.
      |

      | SEA president and chief executive Robert Baca said in a statement
      that
      | his firm is willing to work with "multiple" governments to
      "coordinate
      | a historic recovery of this significance."
      |

      | "The historical importance of the Fantome and associated vessels to
      | the United States, the United Kingdom and Canada must be addressed,"
      | Baca said.
      |

      | But the company's offer has gone unanswered since its divers were
      | banned from the site in late August.
      |

      | London has not said whether it plans to try to recover the loot.
      |

      | In August 1814, British soldiers invaded Washington and looted the
      | White House and the Capitol Building, setting fire to both. A
      | rainstorm prevented the rest of the city from burning.
      |

      | SEA said its divers had observed "flatware, artifacts, ship fittings
      | and thousands of coins" at the underwater site near Cape Breton.
      |

      | ============================================================
      |

      | The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of
      fate of THOUSANDS of square miles...

      | Unit Contact information for North America:
      | Crown Forces Unit Listing:
      | http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
      | American Forces Unit Listing
      | http://usforces1812.tripod.com