      From: bdemajor1812
      To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2006 9:19 PM
      Subject: [WarOf1812] Wysoons, Upper Canada?

      I received a request from G.W. Hawkes, who collects British medals.
      He e-mailed me asking if I had any information on an engagement
      called "Wysoons" in Upper Canada, at which the Royal Marine
      Artillery served. I asked additional information and he replied as
      below. I can't say I've ever heard of that one, although there's a
      vaugue something at the back of my mind that it's close to something
      else.

      G.W. wrote:

      ------
      I collect British medals, primarily Naval and RM long
      service medals, and I have this man's medals and records. A
      Divisional Board of 3 Dec 1850 states: "Has received a Medal and
      Gratuity for good conduct and long service, likewise a medal and
      annuity of £15 per annum for meritorious service and a war medal for
      Basque Roads. Served at the Capture of Oswago [sic], Fort Erie and
      Wysoon in upper Canada during the war with the United States".

      His time was "with the R.M. Battalion in Canada from March 1813 to
      October 1816." Hope these are enough clues: the first time in years
      I've really been stumped. Best. And thanks for answering. gw
      ------

      Can anyone help? It's got me curious, at any rate.

      R. Jason Everett