28647Re: Dates in Naval History - June 1

  • Dale Kidd
    Jun 5, 2006
      LMAO ...as I was corrected, in great detail, on the 1812 Royal
      Navy group, as well! Ahhhh, well. Ocasionally my misunderstanding or
      confusion over something I have read is bound to sneak up on me. I
      just read too much, too quickly, and then confuse the facts. Thanks
      for straightening me out, Admiral. I'm getting there... slowly.

      I remain,
      Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

      Dale Kidd

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, <suthren@...> wrote:

      > Dear Dale
      >
      > Thank you for your interest in naval dates of importance; it's
      heartwarming
      > to anyone who wears blue and white and hopes to succeed in
      recreating the
      > Navy of George III.
      >
      > The 'Glorious First Of June' was not, however, Nelson's victory off
      > Trafalgar, which took place in October of 1805. June 1, 1794
      marked the
      > defeat of a French squadron under Admiral Villaret by a British
      squadron
      > under Admiral Richard "Black Dick" Howe, and was fought some 400
      miles into
      > the Atlantic off Ushant. The French were defeated, but their
      resistance
      > allowed a desperately neded convoy of 117 grain ships from the
      United States
      > to arrive safely in France to feed a population on the brink of
      starvation.

      > It's an important day, whatever took place on it. Thanks for the
      reminder,
      > Dale.
      >
      > Yours aye
      >
      > Vic Suthren