27949Re: [WarOf1812] Help with research paper

  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
    Apr 1, 2006
      In a message dated 01/04/2006 00:12:30 Central Standard Time,
      sgtwarner@... writes:

      Hi Tim,

      You think he was being polite?

      It's posible Craig but this was about 1976-77 and it was the first time I
      had heard the expression. What he told me was that they were so short of Brits
      for some events that they would accept almost anyone with a red coat or musket
      of any description as second rank 'fillers' and it was event organisers who
      announced that for suchand such an event they would accept impressions that
      were 'fairly accurate representing British'. He also said that the actualy
      Brit re-enactors like himself detested them and that within the Brit re-enacting
      community the worst insult posible was to call someone a FARB. Now that said
      since I came to the US in the late 80s I have never been able to confirm
      this origin but to me it sounds as good an explaination as any and better than
      most.