27398Re: [WarOf1812] TECUMSEH'S Bones

  • Bill Sharrette
    Feb 1, 2006
      I have a good Wyandot friend on Walpol Island (located in the St. Clair River between Canada and the US) who claims Tecumseh's remains were brought to the Island after he battle, and he now resides under a wooden porch of a 150 year old house. His argument is convincing in part, but myths abound.

      Bill Sharrette

      toddjune <toddjune@...> wrote:
      Here is a newspaper article regarding the subject.

      http://www.spiritofbothwell.com/story.php?id=196192

      Tecumseh's Bones: author on the trail of a Canadian legend

      Larissa Brittan
      Wednesday November 16, 2005

      Legend says that no one will ever know where Shawnee Chief
      Tecumseh's bones are buried. But Guy St-Denis thinks he might have
      solved the mystery anyway.
      On Nov. 8, the London-area author held a reading and book-signing
      for his work, Tecumseh's Bones, which was released in May. In it, he
      describes his theory of where the famous chief's remains could be.
      "In 1845, Benjamin Springer was sent by the government to do a
      survey of Plank Road - what is now Longwoods Road. He decided to
      plot the exact location of Tecumseh's death. In his survey notes and
      on his map, he indicates where the location is, and it's Lot 4, Gore
      of Zone Township," St-Denis said.
      The farm on Lot 4 still stands, just a little northeast of the
      Tecumseh Monument on the highway between Bothwell and Thamesville.
      St-Denis theorizes that the farmer who bought Lot 4 in the mid-
      1800s - James Dickson - found a grove of carved walnut trees with
      six skeletons buried beneath them. One of these skeletons, St-Denis
      says, must be Tecumseh's.
      St-Denis presented to over 50 people at the Jim Kish Theatre in
      Bothwell's Town Hall building last Tuesday after an invitation from
      the Bothwell-Zone and District Historical Society.
      He became interested in the mystery of Tecumseh's remains after
      visiting Fairfield Museum with his family in 1972.
      "The curator mentioned that Tecumseh had been killed and nobody knew
      what happened to his body. It just stuck with me. I began collecting
      tidbits and after 15 years of research, I was able to produce my
      manuscript," St-Denis said.
      St-Denis is currently working to recruit surveyors and
      archaeologists to further examine the Lot 4 farm. He says that
      historically, Tecumseh came to the Battle of the Longwoods between
      two swamps on the Lot 4 property, and surveys of the modern land
      could narrow down where the chief made his last stand and give even
      further information on where his bones could be buried.

      Crown Forces Unit Listing:
      http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

      American Forces Unit Listing
      http://usforces1812.tripod.com

      Living history United state history United kingdom War of 1812