26960Re: REPLY: [WarOf1812] "Why doesn't someone re-enact the '37 Rebellion?"

  • badger222ca
    Dec 7, 2005
      > Oooo...I've always wanted to get all the 93rd there for the
      Windmill so we
      > could basically march down the road, and then see the rebels coming
      out to
      > surrender.
      > Now THAT'S fun!
      > ;-)
      > 93rd SHRoFLHU
      > THE Thin Red Line
      > 93rdhighlanders.com

      With all due respect, there was a bit more to it than that.
      T. Avery

      The Battle of the Windmill

      This windmill structure was constructed in the 1830's as a grist mill
      for grinding grain. In November of 1838, it was the site of the
      Battle of the Windmill, fought between approximately 200 insurgents
      from the United States sympathetic to the 1837 Rebellions in Canada
      and local militia and British soldiers.

      The New York Hunters, led by "General" John Ward Birge, assembled at
      the Lake Ontario port of Sacket's Harbour for an attack on Fort
      Wellington, Prescott. The British had been alerted to their
      activities and the reconstruction of Fort Wellington was authorized.

      The Battle

      On November 12th, two schooners approached Prescott with the
      Americans. They attempted to land at Prescott Wharf. However, the
      customs inspector, Alpheus Jones, sounded the alarm. The two
      schooners took off and one ran aground at Windmill Point. With the
      defection of General Birge who claimed sickness and retired to the
      American shore with 100 men, command now fell to Nils Von Schoultz, a
      Swedish-Pole, 31 years of age. He envisaged a quick victory but he
      would soon find out differently for he had stumbled into a hotbed of
      Loyalism. He could not have found a more unfriendly population.

      Schoultz thought the mill, with its height of 80 feet, would be a
      great place for sniper activity and with its thick stone walls, it
      would be a veritable fortress.

      Two hundred invaders took refuge in the mill and in the surrounding
      stone houses. The mill was a terribly uncomfortable place and they
      ran out of supplies. The escape routes and supply routes on the
      river side were blocked by British gun boats and a land attack was
      launched against them by British regulars and militia on November
      13th.

      The first outside help was from Lt. Col. Gowan and his two companies
      of "Royal Borderers" from Brockville, who appeared about noon.

      Eventually, 2000 regulars and militia were amassed under the command
      of Colonel Young . They launched a direct frontal assault on the
      American position but were beaten back after sustaining heavy
      casualties, especially from the sharp shooters Von Schultz had placed
      in the high windmill tower. Von Schoultz and his men were finally
      pushed back under relentless pressure from the British forces on
      land. After 4 days of fighting, running short of food and water, with
      no medical supplies and stunned by the hospitality of the population,
      the invaders were compelled to surrender on the evening of November
      16th.

      Prisoners were taken to Kingston where a lawyer, John A. Mac Donald,
      was counsel to them. Von Schoultz was hanged at Fort Henry. The
      British captured 159 prisoners of whom 11 were executed, 3 died of
      wounds and 60 were convicted and sent to Australia. The remainder
      who were mere boys, only 15 to 18 years of age, were given their
      release papers by John MacDonald and sent home to the United States.

      In all, 48 men were killed and 89 wounded in a vicious battle that
      helped pave the way to Confederation.

      This mill was converted into a lighthouse in the 1870's.

      This site was opened in 1996 and today it is operated, on behalf of
      Parks Canada, by the Friends of Windmill Point who have just had a
      fantastic book written, called Guns Across the River (The Battle of
      the Windmill, 1838) by Donald E. Graves. In this book are
      approximately 2000 names of everyone who fought in the Battle of the
      Windmill.

      Anyone interested in this book, or would like further information,
      please call 613-925-2896 or write to The Friends of Windmill Point,
      P.O. Box 479, Prescott, ON, K0E 1T0.