26936Re: REPLY: [WarOf1812] "Why doesn't someone re-enact the '37 Rebellion?"

  • badger222ca
    Dec 6, 2005
      Several years ago, at the Crysler's Farm event, there was somebody
      from the Prescott, Ont., area talking about organizing a re-enactment
      of the 1838 Battle of the Windmill. Does anybody know who this was and
      what ever became of the proposal?
      It would be a good scenario and the site is a national park.
      T. Avery

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "mccombs98" <macomb@p...> wrote:

      > Or what about the battle of Short Hills, Niagara Upper Canada in '37?
      > Still quite virgin territory today. Some St. John's ruins can still be
      > found in the undergrowth of the surrounding forest.
      > (I often claim that the road pavement ends at the boundary of St.
      > John's because the Government still holds a grudge:) St. John's exists
      > today in name only.
      > A fight for responsible government, against nepotism, a reaction to the
      > Great Discontent of 1818 (in Niagara anyways), and a hope for
      > representative government (smacking of the still embedded Republican
      > thought of the time - and not only Irish republican thought:).
      > It would be similar to a Longwoods tactical.
      > Murray
      > Short Hills Niagara.
      >
      > Peter Monahan <petemonahan@s...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Gord
      > >
      > > For the open field part we'd have to go a leedle furder north -
      like King City! (Ironically, or perhaps not, "King City" -
      40km/25miles n of C of Kn.Universe - is mostly fields.)

      > > Ian - was the timing thing a reference to our election, or just
      the weather? :7)

      > > From: "Gordon Deans" <gord.deans@s...>
      > > Date: 2005/12/05 Mon PM 04:39:01 EST
      > > To: <WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
      > > Subject: REPLY: [WarOf1812] "Why doesn't someone re-enact the '37
      Rebellion?"

      > > Peter;
      > >
      > > What a great scenario. Imagine the entire line scattering across
      an open field shouting "Run away! Run away!". And think of the public
      crowd, all better armed than the re-enactors, with some of them
      getting carried away and "poppin' caps in the air" (or worse).

      > > The re-enactment would go down in history as the "Yonge Street
      Races". Hoo-Aahhh! I love the smell of black powder in the morning.

      > > Isn't it great to be Canadian.
      > >
      > > Gord Deans, Royal Navy [1812-14]
      > > In winter quarters on the Upper Thames, Upper Canada
      marching down Yonge Street in Toronto and are met by Loyalist
      volunteers who begin firing at them. When some of the rebels kneel to
      fire their weapons, the men at the back believe they have been shot
      and flee in panic, prompting the collapse of the entire rebel column.
      It is an auspicious beginning to William Lyon Mackenzie's rebellion
      in Upper Canada."
      > > Peter Monahan

      > > The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of
      fate of THOUSANDS of square miles...

      > > Peter Monahan
      > > petermonahan@s...
      > > 705-435-0953 home