26931Re: REPLY: [WarOf1812] "Why doesn't someone re-enact the '37 Rebellion?"

  • suthren@magma.ca
    Dec 5 6:47 PM
      Dear John

      After the War of 1812 the British administration in the two Canadas (Upper
      Canada=Ontario, Lower Canada=Quebec) maintained a colonial system of
      government that gave vast powers to the Governors and to a social elite who
      dominated the appointed (not elected) Upper Houses, and who simply ignored
      the limited-suffrage Lower Houses of the provincial legislatures. The
      Governors allowed a social elite (British and Anglican) in what later became
      Ontario to monopolize all political appointments and run the colony for
      their own benefit. That elite became known as the "Family Compact", and
      effectively blocked all attempts at greater democratization, aided by the
      Loyalists who loathed and feared US-style popular democracy under which they
      had suffered. In Quebec a similar elite, anchored on a pact between the
      Catholic Church, wealthy French landowners and the British colonial
      administration, and referred to as the "Chateau Clique", equally blocked
      progress. Economic strain, outbreaks of disease, population growth and the
      example of the booming (and, by contrast, turbulent and unruly but
      unimaginably free) American society to the south led to a comic-opera revolt
      in Ontario that failed largely due to the innately unrevolutionary instincts
      of the Ontario population (however real their sense of grievance), and a
      serious and bloody armed revolt in Quebec that was put down with a
      never-forgotten savage viciousness by the British military (and English
      speaking militia from Ontario border regions like Glengarry). The British
      did enact tardy reforms later that, over years, answered many of the
      citizen's grievances, but never met others (Canada's Senate is still
      appointed by the ruling Government and is not accountable to the people,
      which never fails to astonish Australians and Americans), and in many
      respects Canadians still have fewer constitional rights tha Americans, and
      have yet to cross over that psychological barrier that says political power
      resides entirely within themselves rather than The Crown.

      Vic Suthren