26925Re: REPLY: [WarOf1812] "Why doesn't someone re-enact the '37 Rebellion?"

  • John Ogden
    Dec 5, 2005
      All-
      In yet another moment of American ignorance, what sparked this
      rebellion? I presume that this was part of a larger campaign about which we
      south of the 49th Parallel are not taught.

      Yours,
      John Ogden

      On 12/5/05, suthren@... <suthren@...> wrote:

      > In 1987 a re-enactment of the 1837 Rebellion was staged at St. Denis,
      > where
      > a party of mixed francophone and anglophone Canadian rebels led by an
      > anglophone (Dr. Wolfred Nelson), and many veterans of the War of 1812,
      > defeated a British line regiment in a sharp fight and sent them retiring
      > in
      > some disorder (The Canadian rebels picked up and cared for the abandoned
      > Brit wounded after the battle. When the Brits returned some months later
      > they reclaimed the convalescing wounded and then burned out the farmers
      > who
      > had sheltered them). The re-enactment aroused so many latent passions that
      > fist fight broke out between some of the 'British' and 'rebel'
      > re-enactors.
      > A red coat is still not welcome in the Richelieu Valley, and with good
      > reason.
      >
      > Vic Suthren

      Fortuna audentes favorit.