      From: BritcomHMP@...<mailto:BritcomHMP@...>
      To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com<mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 9:54 PM
      Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] In the beginning . . .

      In a message dated 11/1/2005 5:12:27 PM Central Standard Time,
      ciefranche21e@...<mailto:ciefranche21e@...> writes:

      And we can't forget, however much we might try, the episode in I think
      "Sharpe's Regiment" where he "recreates" the mythical taking of the Eagle at
      Talavera to get the Prince of Wales to make them his own regiment, thereby saving
      them from being broken up. Ah Sharpie, e's a clever boy.

      On the serious side, I recall reading about a big ceremony called something
      like "The Presentation of the Eagles" in England in 1811 or 1812. But there
      was no mention in the bit I read about a reenactment.

      As you know Michael Mr. Cornwell usualy gets his best ideas from history
      books and the the 'Sharpe' thing is based on an actual 're-enactment' of the
      period but I can't remember wether at Hyde Park or Windsor. I do recall it was
      at the Prince Regent's instigation and I think most of the troops were
      volunteers. As I have just got back home I will be able to look this up shortly.