26597Re: [WarOf1812] In the beginning . . .

  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
    Nov 1, 2005
      In a message dated 11/1/05 1:20:48 AM, ms_civie@... writes:

      > I found this very fascinating as I had no idea that our hobby went
      > back over 150 years.  But it did leave me wondering about the origins
      > of reenactments in Canada and for the War of 1812.  Does anyone know
      > approximately when they emerged and became popularized?

      Actualy re-enactments are far older than that, gladiatorial combat started as
      re-creations of aincient battles to honour the dead. I think the first
      re-enactments of the type we do took place in London during the Napoleonic wars
      where Peninsular war actions wouild be re-staged to encourage the public
      (sometimes by newlt returned regiments). Then of ciourse there was the Eglington
      Topunament of 18(35?) where medieval re-enactment was born.

      Timothy Pickles