26592Re: [WarOf1812] In the beginning . . .

  • ray hobbs
    Nov 1, 2005
      In Imperial Rome there were individual excesses, such as the one
      described by Craig. I have seen this one attributed to other Caesars
      besides Caligula; Nero for example.
      However, the Romans did have a specific ritual which presented in
      regular theatrical form the change of season from campaign season to
      going back to the land. They were known as the ludi Romani (Roman
      games) in which young men, who were not regular soldiers, dressed up as
      such and performed certain ritualized processions and demonstrated
      military skills.
      The games were lengthy, lasting from 3-16th Sept., and were accompanied
      by various others forms of entertainment and enjoyment - dancing,
      racing in the circus, feasts, etc.
      The patron god, for whom the games were performed was Jupiter.
      I would call this true 'reenacting' since those involved were not
      soldiers, but civilians dressing up to act like soldiers.
      Numerous ancient texts from Mesopotamia, two thousand years before
      Rome, depict cyclical rituals of victory over the forces of chaos.
      Given that many later rituals were accompanied by theatre, it is
      possible that reenactment of this cosmic struggle was part of these
      earlier rituals. Some temple texts read just like scripts from a play.
      If the connection is sound then folk have been playing soldiers, as
      well as being soldiers, for millennia.
      My two cents' worth
      Ray Hobbs
      41st Regt