24932Re: Bellydance

  • Len Heidebrecht
    May 2, 2005
      Hello Angela, I have a few thoughts to add here.

      > I have an off the beaten path question here about bellydance. Yes,
      bellydance.

      Yes, it is quite a distance off.

      > Last year I was asked to take part in a medieval re-enactment.

      Neither the Dark Ages Society, nor Regia Angoreum have such a style
      of dance, so this must have been the Society for Creative
      Anachronism.

      >During that event, there were some bellydancers performing and I
      was awestruck and taken with the artform immediately!

      Fantastic. As a dancer myself, I'm always pleased to see someone
      discovering new forms of the art and the ability to express oneself;
      though how anyone over the age of six has not ever been subjected to
      bellydance in some form, is beyond me.

      > This last year I've been recruited by two local professional
      troupes and am now performing in restaurants and theatre events.

      I wish you well in your chosen profession.

      >Therefore, I'm calling upon anyone who is versed on bellydance in
      its original form and has appropriate resources for me to research
      the topic.

      There are a number of professional researchers on this list who
      would (for a given and oft quoted hourly fee) spend a great deal of
      time looking for this information.

      > I have been trying to find whether or not bellydance would be
      suitable to the 1812 period, but can't find any information.

      There is, to my mind at least one possible reason for this.

      >I realize it's not typical, but it is authentic?

      No, I am certain that it is not a typical form of entertainment to
      be found in a reputable camp. I'm sure someone would have mentioned
      it, Lt John le Couteur being the most likely.

      >I mean, would there be any possibility that there'd have been a
      woman or her ancestors who may have traveled to the Middle East or
      Latin America?

      Having been in a state of war for almost a generation it is
      suprising how well travelled people were at this time. Actually
      whole regiments, many of which served in North America, visited
      places such as Egypt, India and Argentina.

      >Who is now on Sutler's row?

      Please see previous postings on the topic of sutlers. There is a
      wonderful 1790s drawing of one possible person being drummed out of
      Hyde Park.

      >It's ancient, it's artistic and would add such a wonderful flair to
      our events.

      Yes, so would elephant rides.

      >I just wonder how it could be appropriate to a British/American war
      re-enactment. I have an inkling it isn't - but I really want to
      discover it is!

      Professor Hobbes has made an appropriate comment to this in his last
      paragraph.

      Thankyou so much for your interest in our hobby and area of study
      though I do feel the Society for Creative Anachronism is more likely
      fit for your interests.

      Cheers,

      Len
    • Show all 29 messages in this topic