24931Re: Bellydance

  • elisabeth687
    May 2, 2005
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Angela <deedle_momof3@y...> wrote:

      > Would it have been possible for a (dancing) woman of any stature to
      be traveling with the millitary for any reason? If so, how? Would such
      a thing be frowned upon? Why? I'm interested in your opinions, I truly
      am. But where can I find some accurate details on the subject? Anybody?

      Emma Hamilton has been mentioned, as a woman performing what might
      have been considered inappropriate "Attitudes" in private for her
      husband and his guests. Another wife might have Turkish dance talents;
      I doubt a wife connected with the military would perform publicly,
      although if her husband was dead, she might need a source of income.

      For your earlier query about clothing: I did look into late 18th
      century Turkish costume some years ago and have been trying to
      remember what I found with only mediocre success. Folkwear
      (www.folkwear.com) has two patterns that look like reasonable starting
      points and both have received good reviews on The Great Pattern Review
      at gbacg.org: Turkish Dancer (108) includes the entari and a vest and
      short jacket and Sarouelles (119) has shalwar trousers. I don't know
      where you'd find a pattern for the shift but you might be able to fake
      it, given a decent description--try for a quote of Lady Mary Wortley
      Montagu's comments on her Turkish clothing; it's quite detailed,
      although it's a century too early. There is a chapter on fancy dress
      including oriental costume in Aileen Ribeiro's The Art of Dress:
      Fashion in England and France, 1750-1820 which reproduces several
      paintings of rich ladies in Turkish-inspired costume. There is also a
      very well-illustrated book called Historical Costume of Turkish Women
      (Nisantasi, Istanbul: Middle East Video Corp., 1986) that you might be
      able to get through ILL. I don't think any of the costumes therein
      date back to 1812, but you might be able to use it for ideas and
      confirm with research. I know I've seen other books on historic Middle
      Eastern costume, but it's been a few years and I'm having trouble
      finding specific titles. I see several perfect books in Library of
      Congress' catalog, if you live close to DC, but as they have
      publication dates of 1819 and 1820 I doubt LC would send them anywhere
      (you can try going to catalog.loc.gov and searching by call number at
      GT1370 and following to see books on Middle Eastern costume or
      searching subject headings to get an idea of what has been available
      in this or other areas of interest).

      --Amy C.
    • Show all 29 messages in this topic