      From: PETER CATLEY
      To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2005 3:13 AM
      Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] State Militia flags?

      Ed,

      More information, perhaps more than you need!

      This may well have been Rev. GR Gleig, Chaplin to the
      Royal Hospital at Chelsea from 1834 until he resigned
      in 1848. He died in 1888 aged 92 therefore born 1796.

      Gleig had cerved in the Army before taking up the
      ministry. He later was the Chaplin-General and wrote
      extensively including Chelsea Pensioners, Chelsea
      hospital and its Traditions and the Veterans of
      Chelsea Hospital ~ If anyone has any of these in the
      attic I 'd love to know:-)

      Cheers

      P**

      --- Ed Seufert <LCpl_RM@...> wrote:
      ---------------------------------
      Kevin/Brian,

      I tried uploading a bigger picture which was a .bmp
      but Yahoo would not accept it; only .jpg and .tif. I
      will try reformatting and send it again later.

      Meanwhile I also found the notes which accompanied the
      flag picture. Seems that the white flag is indeed
      that of the 68th (James City Light Infantry) which was
      more likely captured at Hampton instead of
      Bladensburg. The colour was captured by the 1st Batt
      Royal Marines and presented to Sir Sydney Beckwith.
      An additional colour of the 1st Batt, 85th (Virginia
      Militia) was apparently also presented. Both were
      then in turn given to Admiral Warren. The 68th flag
      somehow made its way to Chelsea and eventually to the
      Shropshire Museum.

      One of the things mentioned was the fact that Glieg
      (of the 85th) in his "Narratives" never mentions the
      fact that a colour was captured. Neither does the
      accompanying "Subaltern in America". But the "History
      of the Royal Marines Forces" does relate the above
      presentation!

      Does anyone know the American regiments present at
      Hampton in June 1813?

      Cheers,

      Ed Seufert, Cpl
      1812 Royal Marines