24706Re: [WarOf1812] State Militia flags?

  • LCpl_RM@comcast.net
    Apr 6, 2005
      Kevin/Brian,

      By clicking on full size you can at least read the description. I will try to get a bigger image and repost.

      The interesting thing about the two flags is that neither unit is listed as having been at Bladensburg! As there were several other excursions, both in Maryland and Virginia where the Army was landed and was in combat, quite possibly the colours where taken at one of those.

      There is another picture of a militia flag (I believe 68th Regt) which was captured at Hampton. I'll try to find the story behind that one also.

      Ed Seufert, Cpl
      1812 Royal Marines

      Kevin,

      In the photos that Ed posted, it appears the left
      image is of the flag used by the James City Light
      Infantry of Virginia. There is a book, I believe
      titled "Flags from Around the World" that has a
      drawing of this same flag.

      We of the 2nd Virginia Regiment used that drawing as
      the model for our flag. I will upload an image of our
      flag so you can see it better. If Ed can enlarge the
      images he posted, that would be even better.

      Hope this helps.

      Brian Howard
      2nd Virginia Regiment, 1813-1815

      --- Kevin Windsor <kevin.windsor@...> wrote:
      > Ed, anyway to make them bigger?? They're really
      > tiny!

      http://mail.yahoo.com

      Crown Forces Unit Listing:
      http://1812crownforces.tripod.com