24246Re: [WarOf1812] Re: Pte Pierpont (was Black Heritage Month)

  • Robert White
    Feb 2, 2005
      Are you guessing because of the start of the will or was the start merely the way that they all started back then. For instance today, the usual start is "I, Johnny Humperdink, being of sound mind, do hereby make this my last will and testament revoking all wills and codicils heretofore made by me..." Using the same type of analysis with nothing else would lead a researcher to conclude that when Johnny made this will he obviously had made another one earlier otherwise why would he be revoking it. In the usual course of events, there was no prior will and certainly no codicil as they haven't been used for decades particularly after the advent of computers where it is much easier to change the actual will and remove all questions. Bob White Pte, US Marine Guard on Constitution aka in my hobby of trying to make a living - Attorney etc. etc.

      PETER CATLEY <peter.catley@...> wrote:Peter,

      you could well be right.

      Cheers

      P**

      --- Peter Monahan <petemonahan@...> wrote:

      ---------------------------------
      Mr Hobbs, Mr Catley

      I have a copy of "A Stolen Life" infront of me. In it
      is a photograph of "Captain Dick"'s will which begins:
      "This is my last will and testament in the name of God
      Amen".
      Are these the words of a Christian, merely a
      linguistic convention by Pierpont or his scribe or
      perhaps an echo of the standard Arabic exhortations to
      and acknowledgements of Allah which are so common in
      Muslim conversation and correspondence?
      The book goes on to say that James Watson, one of
      the founders of the town of Fergus who hired and was
      friendly to blacks, was in dispute with St Andrew's
      Presbyterian Church over burying an unnamed person in
      their cemetery. They refused permission. Was it
      Pierpont and was the refusal based on religion or
      race? Race would certainly be seen as sufficient
      cause at the time, but trying to bury a Muslim in a
      Presbyterian cemetery seems over-ecumenical by even
      today's standards.

      From my very limited reading and a little knoweledge
      of the old British Indian empire, I believe that the
      term "Musselman" was principally used to distinguish
      Muslim Indians from their Hindu compatriots. I would
      guess that "over here" Pierpont's race would trump, so
      to speak, any religion he might have, in the minds of
      his white neighbours. Just a thought.

      Fasccinating thread,though.

      Yours etc
      Peter Monahan
      From: ray hobbs <ray.hobbs@...>
      Date: 2005/02/01 Tue PM 01:14:40 EST
      To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] African Heritage Month (Black
      Heritage Month)

      Right - and there were a few others, dogans,
      dissenters (the accursed
      Baptists), and a very few Anglicans.
      I believe in the period, Pte Pierpoint would have been
      called a "Turk".
      Somewhere in the back of my mind I have recollection
      of such a one
      being a member of the GLI. Does anyone have further
      information on this?
      As for Pensioner Catley's point - if he was, he'd have
      known! :-)
      Ray H
      41st Regt.

      On Tuesday, February 1, 2005, at 12:00 PM, lalozon
      wrote:

      > From: "ray hobbs" <ray.hobbs@...>
      >

      > " .... Pierpoint is never recorded as having
      converted to
      > Christianity..."
      >

      > So Mr. Hobbs,
      >

      > ... there was at least one 1812 soldier who was
      not a Methodist! :^)

      > YHS,
      > L2

      the fate of hundreds
      > of square miles: in North America, hundreds
      determined the fate of
      > THOUSANDS of square miles...

      The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the
      fate of hundreds of square miles: in North America,
      hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS of square
      miles...

      The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the
      fate of hundreds of square miles: in North America,
      hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS of square
      miles...

      Crown Forces Unit Listing:
      http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

      American Forces Unit Lisiting