      From my very limited reading and a little knoweledge of the old British Indian empire, I believe that the term "Musselman" was principally used to distinguish Muslim Indians from their Hindu compatriots. I would guess that "over here" Pierpont's race would trump, so to speak, any religion he might have, in the minds of his white neighbours. Just a thought.

      Fasccinating thread,though.

      Yours etc
      Peter Monahan
      From: ray hobbs <ray.hobbs@...>
      Date: 2005/02/01 Tue PM 01:14:40 EST
      To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] African Heritage Month (Black Heritage Month)

      Right - and there were a few others, dogans, dissenters (the accursed
      Baptists), and a very few Anglicans.
      I believe in the period, Pte Pierpoint would have been called a "Turk".
      Somewhere in the back of my mind I have recollection of such a one
      being a member of the GLI. Does anyone have further information on this?
      As for Pensioner Catley's point - if he was, he'd have known! :-)
      Ray H
      41st Regt.