24214Re: Commodore Barney question

  • M Peterson
    Feb 1, 2005
      Dave and all,

      The official report to congress on the capture and burning of
      Washington (accessable through the Library of congress website)
      states that the Commandant of the Washington Navy Yard caused two 18-
      lb long iron guns to be placed on FIELD CARRIAGES for Barney's use
      should it become necessary (this was in May BTW). Capt Miller's Co.
      of Marines was trained in Artillery and three 12-lb bronze field
      guns were made available for them. They took these guns to St.
      Leonard's Creek and again to Bladensburg.

      All of Barney's guns from the barges were sunk with the barges and
      recovered (salvaged) in the fall of 1814.

      Barney states in his report on Bladensburg to Secretary of the Navy
      Jones that he was forced to begin his withdrawl partly because his
      ammunition train had fled with the militia leaving him with only
      what ammo he had in the ready chests.

      All in all Barney's contingient was fairly well armed with upwards
      of 300 muskets and pikes as well as the field pieces.

      Myron Peterson
      Ship's Company

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Hoyt" <spqrdave@y...> wrote:

      > Long-time lurker questions.
      >
      > I'm hoping the membership might be able to help out with a
      question
      > or two. I've become particularly interested in Commodore Barney's
      > unit of naval artilleryists who served at the Battle of
      Bladensburg
      > in 1814. Uniforms are no problem...it's the type of gun served
      that
      > vexes me. Before the battle, Barney's squadron of gunboats, which
      > had been harassing the Royal Navy in the Chesapeake area, was
      burned
      > to avoid capture in the Patuxent (sp?) River. The sailors later
      > showed up at Bladensburg manning a number of heavy guns (perhpas
      18
      > lbers?). My question is...what type of guns were these? Regular
      land-
      > service artillery carriages and barrels, or naval guns on ship-
      > service mounts? Perhaps not as obvious as one might think. For
      > example, at New Orleans, the British hauled naval guns overland
      (or
      > over swamp, more accurately) to be served, I believe, by Royal
      > Artillerists (and not sailors) against Jackson's positions outside
      > the city. If Barney was using regular artillery guns, where did he
      > get them? If naval carriages and guns, how did he transport them?
      >

      > cheers,
      >
      > Dave
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic