23589Re: Absolute rulers - was RE: [WarOf1812] Re: Fw: ......." Vive l'Empereur"!!!!

  • suthren@magma.ca
    Dec 6, 2004
      To add to the conversation, could I observe that the very limited
      parliamentary 'democracy' in the Britain of George the Third joined with an
      increasingly rigid social stratification toward the end of the 18th Century
      to make British society a vastly unfair system which was held together only
      by the reserve and patience of its common people. Revolutionary France, at
      least until the coming of the Consuls and to a degree throughout the
      Napoleonic period, was a Darwinian meritocracy that ironically offered far
      more social equality and a kind of rough but egalitarian mob justice than
      could be found in Britain. It was in the arbitrary French exercise of secret
      police and other powers that the cry of 'Despot!' went up in England, where
      some protection against arbitrary arrest was available. The strain on the
      common British people almost cracked in 1797, however, when the Navy, unable
      to stand the legion of injustices under which they suffered, mutinied and
      might have taken the nation with them had the mutineers not acted for the
      most part with great restraint, and voices like 'Black Dick' Howe stepped in
      to act with reason and common sense. The British aristocracy were lucky to
      not have the whole creaking structure collapse about their ears, and the
      safety valve of the Napoleonic wars allowed them to prevent any redress of
      social injustice until after Waterloo. Even then they fought tooth and nail
      to oppose the Reform Bill of 1832, Wellington leading the charge. One man's
      despot is another's liberator....

      Vic Suthren
      Ottawa