23309RE: [WarOf1812] Fw: Victoria Cross

  • Camp Chief
    Nov 2, 2004
      Dear List

      Can anyone shed light on how this particular medal came to be offered for
      sale.

      I have heard one report that it is the "family" who is offering it for sale
      at $275,000, and that another family member (presumably one without a stake
      or a say) is spurring the move to purchase it for "Canada". If this is
      true, then I think careful examination is required to ensure that the facts
      are correct and that everyone knows them before they make decisions whether
      to donate or not.

      While normally, I would be the first to say that any items like this belong
      in museums, IN Canada, I would be disparaged if it is indeed the family
      themselves that appear to be wanting to sell it "to the highest bidder".

      Can anyone shed light on how it is up for sale? Is $275,000 the "market"
      price of such an item?

      I think I would be interested in hearing some of these details before
      sending off my money.

      David Randle